Ben had an abscess in his ear canal so they gave him Septra
(Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim). On day 10 (his last day) we gave it to
him in the morning and after a couple of hours, he broke out in a rash all over
his body. He had red splotches on
his face and small red dots all over his body. It wasn’t particularly itchy and it wasn’t raised. I gave him Benadryl and it didn’t
do anything other than make him tired. I called the nurses line and they said it didn’t
really sounds like hives so assume he was contagious and still give him
Benadryl anyways. It ended up
getting bad enough that I went ahead and took him into the urgent care near our
house. The PA there said it was
just an allergic reaction to the Septra and the reason the Benadryl didn’t work
was because it had been building in his system for 9 days. She gave him Prednisone. He took it Saturday (Feb 15), Sunday,
and Monday. By Monday night, the
rash was gone. Gilbert Pediatrics
called on Monday because they had received the note from the nurses line. They said that it still didn’t sound
like an allergy and I should have taken him to a pediatric urgent care because
they can identify 100s of rashes.
Oops.
 |
| weird possible allergic reaction |
 |
| weird possible allergic reaction |
Thursday (2/20) he developed a cough and a fever (Brynna had
one the 14th and 15th and still had the lingering cough)
so I kept him home. Friday
afternoon, he started getting a rash again. This time it was just on his face, arms, and legs. I decided that since it was a Friday
afternoon, I would just take him into his Pediatrician to look at before I freaked out over the
weekend. Dr Jacks said it was just
a virus and sometimes with a virus kids can get a rash. It wasn’t scarlet fever or measles or
anything serious. It wouldn’t get
worse but no telling how long it would take to get better.
 |
| friday night (he's asleep) |
 |
| doesn't approve of me waking him up in the middle of the night |
By Friday night he was worse. By Saturday morning he was way worse. He had even developed petechiae on his
arm. I saw it and freaked
out. All I could see was Brynna
with her ITP. I called Ben (who
was helping Rick at the new office) and told him to get home now and give Ben a
blessing. I also gave Ben some
Benadryl because he said it itched.
This time it did look like hives, raised and splotchy. Also, his ears were very red and
swollen. The Benadryl did nothing
but put him to sleep. (When he got
a blessing I noticed it said there wouldn’t be any complications and I couldn’t
help but think “Brynna didn’t have complications from ITP. It went just how it was supposed to
go.”) The rash continued to get
worse throughout the day. He even
got a few petechiae on his stomach.
He also was coughing a ton.
So much so that it was hard to breathe for him. Then I gave him some more Ibuprofen
around 6:30ish and an hour later his fever spiked to 104.5 (previously never
above 101 and always went down with meds). So I said that’s it and took him to Twilight
Pediatrics.
 |
| sat am. def worse |
 |
| had a heart attack when i saw this |
 |
| again, freak out! |
 |
| poor guy's ears were twice the normal size |
 |
| later that day after getting some benedryl. it did nothing |
 |
| few hours later |
 |
| sat night right before i took him in |
 |
| glad the rash wasn't going to get any worse |
 |
| not asleep. the light was just hurting his eyes |
The Dr there looked at him, asked a ton of questions, hmmmed
and haaaed, then said “Well, frankly, I’m stumped!” Then she went to get a dermatology book to look at the pics
in there to see if he matched anything.
The strange thing was that there was no rash on his trunk. Just his face, arms, and legs. The petechiae worry her the most. She thinks he has something related to
what Brynna had (the ITP) but without blood work, there would be no way to know
and she didn’t think we needed to spend the night waiting in the ER. I’m not sure I agree with her since
nothing in her book matched what he looked like. Also, she kept calling his hives purpura one moment and
hives the next, but those don’t mean the same thing. Purpura is like bruises. Hives are called urticaria. Anyways, she gave him prednisone for the hives and the
swollen ears and told me to get him rechecked on Monday. I suppose, if it is a mild case of
something like ITP, the prednisone should help anyways.
Sunday he looked better. He still had a rash but it was going away and his ears were
no longer swollen. But as his rash
went away, we realized just how much petichiae he had. It was all over his bum down to his
feet and his elbows down to his hands.
He even had some on his ears.
Monday, before the Drs
office even officially opened, the Dr we had seen at Twilight Pediatrics was
calling to make an appointment for him.
Then I got a call from the office we usually go to wanting to schedule
an appointment. I guess the Dr
really wanted to make sure we got him rechecked.
I took him in and Dr Jacks looked at him and said that he
didn’t really know what he had.
HSP (like ITP but instead of the body attacking plattletes causing thin
blood and therefore petechiae, it attacks the blood vessels causing them to be
weak and therefore petechiae) is what he was leaning towards, but usually they
only have the rash on their legs.
ITP usually has a lot more bruising. So he ordered a CBC but said that since he was already on
Prednisone, we may never find out what was wrong. Either way, he wasn’t contagious anymore so we could send
him to school and just not let him run around until we get a blood count.
The labs came back normal and he continued to go to
school. However, on Thursday, I
had been volunteering in Ethan’s class and was just going out to my car to get
something when another mom stopped me and told me that I probably wanted to go
check on Ben. He was in a lot of
pain and was complaining that it felt like his arms and legs were going to
explode. I ran down to his
classroom but the teacher said she had already sent him to the nurse. I ran back up to the nurse and he was
there being checked out by her.
Now, I should mention that I don’t think she is an actual nurse. When I tried to explain ITP and HSP to
her earlier in the week, she didn’t seem to get it. I take over and check for more petechiae. There was no new spots but he was
complaining that he couldn’t even stand it hurt so bad. When I had him lay down to look at his
legs, he cried that his stomach hurt so bad that he was going to throw up. OK that’s it! I’m taking him home.
I ran to get his stuff while trying to stay calm. I called the Drs and made an appointment. The nurse on the line asked if the
school nurse took his blood pressure.
Nope. (Remember the part
where I don’t think she is a real nurse.)
After eating lunch and sitting in the car, his pain started to lessen,
but I still wanted to take him in just in case.
The dr decided that with the pain it definitely sounded like
HSP, but a mild case, probably since he went on the prednisone so early. He checked his urine to make sure there
was no blood or protein (indications that it was attacking his kidneys). Everything checked out though so he
just told me about HSP, which means his body was attacking his own blood
vessels. It can cause joint and belly pain. As long as it doesn't start
attacking his kidneys, he will be fine. It usually lasts a month so he might
have these episodes for another 3 weeks. The pain is probably coming because
the prednisone is no longer in his system. He can just take Tylenol and rest.
The rash may come back but the dr doesn't think it will. He doesn't need to
restrict his activities (unless he is in too much pain) but he may be a little
tired over this time.
He definitely was tired for another week or so and would
complain about pain off and on, but everything has cleared up so we are out of
the woods. This makes the second child
to have a scary auto immune response to a virus. Hopefully we never have to do this again, but with my genes,
it is always a risk. At least this
time we didn’t have to make any hospital trips and he was mostly just
fine. Yea for early prednisone and
dr who are smart. And double yea
for priesthood blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment