Fam pic

Fam pic

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Swim Lessons

This summer we did 2 sessions of swim lessons.  The first was June 6-17 and the next was July 18-29.
We put the boys in Tiny Tots 1 (the lowest level) because we knew that they were going to have reservations about going into the water.  We weren't wrong.  Getting them into the water the first day was like pulling teeth.  But they finally got in and they enjoyed it.  Brynna decided that she wanted to go swim too, so Ben and I decided that I would suck it up and do Water Babies with her.  The catch, I had to be in the water with her, like, in a bathing suit.  Yeah.  Oh the things we do for those we love!  The boys got used to the water and even had lots of fun.  They passed all the requirements to go onto the next level (not saying much because I think it was just to put their head into the water).  Brynna, if you remembered, almost drowned not too long ago.  So, even though she really wanted to swim like the Bubbas, she quickly changed her mind once we were in the water.  This led to 30 mins, 5 days a week, of trying to keep Brynna calm in the water.  By the end of the session, she would lay on her belly and kick her legs, but she wouldn't go on her back.  And if we tried to get her all the way wet, she would cry the rest of the session.  It was fun, though, to get to spend one on one time with her.












The next session, we put Ben in Guppies (where he would learn to actually swim) and Ethan in Tiny Tots 2 (he was too young for guppies and not ready).  Brynna, again, did water babies (still too young for Tiny Tots).  Ben did really well.  He completed his level.  He learned to do front and back floats, glides from the side of the pool, and a crawl stroke.  
Ethan, who is no lover of the water, failed. :) He was supposed to put his face in the water for 5 seconds, do a front and back float, and practice gliding.  The problem was that he didn't like his head in the water at all.  Now, when I said "fail" I only mean that he didn't complete any of his markers.  But really, he improved greatly.  I gave him a shower and poured water over his head, and he didn't scream.  Totally worth my $25!  
Brynna did much better the second session.  She would blow bubbles and was much more comfortable in the water.  She still refused to be on her back and get all the way wet, but she was much more comfortable all around.  (Sorry no pics, this is when Ben was at his 2 week training)
Can't wait till next year to do more lessons.  The best part about next year... Brynna will be 3 so I won't have to go in with her!!!

1 comment:

Sarah McM said...

Look at those swimmers! Good work, Mom & Dad.